Client: Armagh City, Banbridge and Craigavon Borough Council.
To conduct an independent review of how the Armagh City, Banbridge and Craigavon Borough Council supports canals throughout the Borough.
This relates to the following canals:
- Ulster Canal – c.74km from Wattle Bridge (Co.Cavan) to Charlemont (Co.Armagh) where it adjoins the River Blackwater and onwards to Lough Neagh. Approximately 21km is within the Council area.
- Lagan Navigation – c.43km from Belfast to Lough Neagh of which c.5km is within the Council area.
- Newry Canal – c.43km from Portadown to Newry of which c.20km is within the Council area.
The project is an output of a Service Level Agreement with Armagh City, Banbridge and Craigavon Borough Council.
The review is required to identify:
- Strategic Context – A detailed examination of the Canals’ position within National and Council Strategies, Policies and Plans
- Identification of the potential benefits of canals for recreation including an overview of Greenway and Blueway initiatives.
- Identification of Current Position
- International Benchmarking to identify good practice
- Identification of Potential Funding Opportunities – both capital and revenue
- Development of recommendations
- A detailed report will be provided in addition to a presentation to key Council staff.