Client: Failte Ireland
In line with the objectives of People, Place and Policy – Growing Tourism to 2025, Fáilte Ireland’s core goals are to grow tourism revenue, visitor numbers and employment.
Outdoor Recreation NI produced a comprehensive overview of the current peatland-based tourism in Ireland and evidence to demonstrate how a world class peatland’s experience could step change Ireland’s global eco- tourism position and stimulate further visitor experiences to complement Ireland’s existing offering.
The research presented international best practice in the development of world-class peatlands, peat ways and eco-tourism experiences, together with key learnings and recommendations for Ireland to become a recognised global leader.
The primary objective was to provide intelligence to guide decision-making and recommendations for future investment priorities, experience development and stakeholder partnerships. The project methodology included:
- Conduct an audit of the existing peatlands visitor experiences in Ireland
- Identify opportunities for Ireland to develop a world class and innovative visitor experience to compete internationally
- Examine international best practice and identify Ireland’s international competitive set
- Identify Critical Success Factors for peatlands visitor experiences.
- Identify linkage to other tourism experiences
- Consult with relevant stakeholders
- Make recommendations for next steps, including future upgrade and investments of existing network of trails and technology as appropriate.