Client: National Trust
High Mournes & Environs Strategic Framework and associated reports for future protection, management, and community engagement.
This project is driven by an ambition to respond to current and emerging needs, challenges and opportunities by adopting a more holistic approach to the protection and management of the landscape of the High Mournes and environs. Through this approach, the Mournes have the potential to enhance local lives, boost the local economy through sustainable tourism, and provide genuine economic benefits to the local area and beyond. The project will provide the evidence base and frameworks necessary to inform adoption of that approach and the future delivery of a transformative and sustainable landscape-scale management plan to protect the High Mournes and environs for future generations.
The project will provide the evidence based reports and frameworks necessary to inform the Strategic Management & future delivery of a transformative and sustainable landscape-scale management plan to protect the High Mournes and their environs for future generations. This will be achieved through the delivery of 9 deliverables.
- Development of a community engagement framework
- Assessment of the contribution of activities to benefits to society (‘social value’)
- Establish the approach and management structures necessary for the sustainable management of the High Mournes and environs
- Feasibility of longer-term collaboration with formal and informal providers of learning, education and skills development/training
- Strategic review of path & trail network to inform decisions for new/more sustainable access
- Audit of participation in outdoor recreation and development of proposals for enhancing involvement, particularly among underrepresented groups
- Review and gap analysis of existing land management plans within the public estate in the High Mournes and environs.
- Review and gap analysis of the recording of natural and cultural heritage and how these are shared through the interpretation offer in the High Mournes and environs.
- Natural capital assessment
Working as part of a multi-disciplinary team, ORNI are leading on deliverable 6.
The project is being delivered by the following team members:
- The Paul Hogarth Company (Project Lead)
- Tandem Design
- 56 Degrees Insight
- Walking the Talk
- Consarc Design Group
- McCreanor Murray Rose
- Natural Capital Solutions
- North Mapping Services