Client: Newry, Mourne and Down District Council
To prepare a scoping study into the feasibility (non-monetary) and management of the former generator building at Newcastle Harbour, Co Down.
To consider two main objectives:
Objective 1 – to assess if it is feasible (non-monetary) to develop the former generator building at Newcastle Harbour building to meet the objectives of the Council.
- Defining the objective of the proposed development e.g. for community usage, income generation, encourage greater participation in water activities such as sailing etc
- Gauging interest and defining potential usage
- potential demand from user groups and level of usage
- potential commercial interest
- Assessing the need
- Investigate other buildings and facilities in the area that already potentially meet the demand
- Assess possibility of displacement
- Proposing and appraising options for the building to meet the relevant need (includes architectural survey).
Objective 2 – to assess how the building could be managed and run on a daily basis.
This involved consideration of:
- Ongoing maintenance of the building
- Daily operation of the building (opening & closing, booking facility, cleaning etc)
- Payment of relevant costs such as rates, electricity, insurance
- Promotion of the building to encourage usage
Consarc Design Group