National Outdoor Recreation Forum Chairperson Opportunity1st February 2022
Sport NI in partnership with Outdoor Recreation Northern Ireland (ORNI) are seeking to appoint an independent, voluntary chairperson for the National Outdoor Recreation Forum (NORF) on behalf of its members.
NORF was established in 2014 as a key output from the Outdoor Recreation Action Plan for Northern Ireland.
The purpose of NORF is to provide a mechanism for representatives from local forums, governing bodies of sport and other key stakeholders from NGO’s to have an effective and united voice for the development of outdoor recreation.
The role of the chair has been instrumental in developing the forum and ensuring the effective collaborative working of its members. Therefore, the forum is seeking an experienced and skilled individual who is a very effective communicator and has an extensive understanding of the outdoor recreation sector in Northern Ireland.
The closing date for applications is Monday 21st February at 4.00pm
Applications should be submitted to Aidan Creamer at Sport NI
Duties and Responsibilities:
- To plan, in partnership with the secretariat (ORNI), and manage forum meetings in accordance with the Terms of reference.
- To ensure agendas for meetings reflect the needs of the sector.
- To provide impartiality and objectivity to meetings and decision-making.
- To facilitate discussions and working groups on key topics as required.
- To review and report on members views of the implementation of the outdoor recreation action plan for N. Ireland.
- To collate feedback and provide responses to appropriate consultations from the forum as required.
- Educated to degree level or equivalent.
- Five years’ experience, full time, part time or as a volunteer of working in the outdoor recreation sector.
- Substantial board experience (min 5 years), ideally at chair or other senior level in the public, private or voluntary sector, or substantial board experience as a member of a national governing body of sport or a charitable trust.
- Demonstrable experience of working in partnership with other organisations both within and across sectors.
- Demonstrable experience of representing an organisation to senior figures at national and/or international level.
- An ability to commit to a minimum of 1 day per month to facilitate any working groups or to represent the forum on other groups and to commit to (normally) 2 forum meetings in a year.
- An ability to be involved in meetings during normal working hours, evenings and/or at weekends and occasionally at short notice.
- Access to a form of transport that will permit the post holder to meet the requirements of the post. The role will involve being able to travel to meetings mostly within Northern Ireland but on occasions outside of Northern Ireland to represent the forum.
- Experience of working with ministers, government departments and non-departmental public bodies or public authorities.
- Experience of having responsibility for making and managing strategic decisions.