To deliver a strategic vision for the redevelopment of Castlewellan Forest Park as a key outdoor recreation and activity tourism venue.
- Secure funding, project manage and deliver a suite of outdoor recreation products
- Undertake and/or co-ordinate studies / reports to outline the potential for redevelopment on certain aspects of the Forest Park in order to inform future decision making and funding applications
- Over £900,000 has been secured and invested in the Park since 2013. This included the:
– Delivery of a national mountain bike trail centre (including 16.5kms of trail and pump track) attracting 36,000+ visits in year 1.
– Delivery of 12kms of walking trails attracting 79,000+ visits in 9 months since launch
– Delivery of the play space – ‘Animal Wood’
– Upgrade of the Peace Maze
– Creation and roll out of the Mourne Forest brand on visitor information and interpretation
- In-depth Feasibility Study and Green Book Economic Appraisal produced to inform Council’s future decision making regarding the future development of the Forest Park
- 2 full-time staff based on-site to further develop and manage the outdoor recreation facilities in the Mourne Forests
“I worked closely with Outdoor Recreation NI on various projects within Castlewellan Forest Park between 2011 – 2015. I found them an innovative and highly professional company who were able to combine their passion with hard work to produce exceptional results for the Council.”
Michael Lipsett, Former Director Recreation and Community Services, Newry, Mourne and Down District Council