To improve the attractiveness and accessibility of the Divis and Black Mountain, Belfast as a location for outdoor recreation.
To allow the National Trust (site owners) to increase visitor numbers and in turn realise the tourism, social, health and educational benefits the site has to offer.
To work in partnership with the National Trust to:
• Develop a concept for a trail system within the site
• Consult with stakeholders and user groups on the proposed concept
• Secure funding to design and build the trail network
• Procure a consultant project management team and together procure
• Oversee the project from construction through to delivery of the trails on
• c.£500,000 of external funding secured
• 13 kms of walking and cycling trails developed and launched by Autumn 2014
• The property now welcomes c.240,000 visitors per year
“Over recent years we have been working with Outdoor Recreation NI to develop a trail system within our Divis and the Black Mountain property in Belfast. Our aim was to increase the Trust’s profile and drive up visitor numbers to the property. The trails have done exactly that”.
Dermot McCann, Ranger, National Trust