To enhance Bunkers Hill Forest, Castlewellan, making it a place that the local community would utilise and spend time.
We were commissioned by Newry, Mourne & Down District Council to develop a 2km multi use trail and play trail to also include a car parking area for disabled users, resurfacing of the access laneway and sheltered seating along the multi-use trail. In order to carry out these works we:
- Managed the community consultation process
- Carried out a detailed audit of the proposed route
- Calculated the cost for infrastructure, trail build and trail upgrade
- Examined other examples and models of best practice of play in the UK and Ireland
- Commissioned a specialist play company to design, construct and install the play area
- Managed the installation process including liaison with key stakeholders such as local council and Forest Service NI
- The multi-use trail and play trail were developed and completed in January 2016 at Bunkers Hill Forest, Castlewellan.
- Designed for walkers and family cyclists, the trail takes in the glorious views of Dundrum Bay, Slieve Croob and the Mourne Mountains.
- The Play Trail was designed for children aged 4-11 years containing 11 bespoke timber items including a climbing wall, basket swings, teppee village and story teller’s chair.
- Enhancements to the access lane and installation of the new disabled car parking was completed in March 2016.